kernel upgrade bug?

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Sat Dec 3 15:56:25 UTC 2011

On 12/03/2011 04:30 AM, Scott van Looy wrote:

> Isn't there supposed to be an initramfs for 3.1.2-1?

My system has:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 15945815 Dec  1 21:24
initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img

So yes, you should have one.

> Is this a bug?

Depends.  If you used preupgrade to move from f15 to f16, it's probably
a bug.  If you used yum to do so, I'm not sure that that is an
"approved" method of upgrading...one does so at their own risk.

> If there's supposed to be one, if so, how can I generate one? Once I have, do I need to reinstall grub?

You could use dracut to build the initrd, but you're probably better off
re-installing the kernel package.  Something like:

$ su -
# yumdownloader kernel
# rpm -ivh --force kernel.package.file.name.rpm

You don't need to re-install grub, but you should double-check grub.conf
before rebooting to the new kernel.

Also, I do believe f16 includes a move to grub2 -- at least, the tools
are installed after I ran preupgrade & upgraded.  But my system was left
still using grub.  That's not such a bad thing, since the grub2.conf
syntax has completely changed, making us all grub noobs again.

There's also a wiki page somewhere that talks about post-upgrade
cleanups one should perform to make sure old packages are thoroughly
removed...ask in #fedora about that, or maybe someone will post the link.

  -Scott