The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Dec 3 18:56:34 UTC 2011

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 10:41 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 12/03/2011 09:38 AM, Craig White wrote:
>>> Whatever Linus thinks of Gnome is rather beside the point in that he is
>>> a kernel developer, not a Desktop UI expert and I am rather amused by
>>> those who felt his dis' of Gnome 3 or apparently now his receptiveness
>>> actually matters.
>>
>> So this is what I hear you saying.....
>>
>> Linus is a kernel developer and not a UI developer.  Thus, his opinion
>> does not matter.
>> Since Linus is not a UI developer, he is only an end user.  Thus, the
>> opinions of end users don't matter.
> ----
> I think his opinion matters as much as anyone else (and I gather that in
> the eyes of Gnome developers, not so much).
>
> You know my feelings as I too am a KDE 4 survivor ;-) To make an omelet,
> you have to break some eggs. I think there is a core of long time Linux
> users who were upset because their familiar interface changed. Such is
> progress.

Change for the sake of being different is not progress, it's marketing. Changing
the way things work to break the old tools so people will ue YOUR tools instead
the 3rd party stuff is how MSFT got big, it is less appealing in open source,
where "ours is better and yours doesn't work any more" sounds a lot like "ego trip."

The computer should work the way the users want it to work, not the other way
around. And scrapping all your old computers because they don't have magic video
cards for visual cruft is not in the cards.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>