Re: Bug 648732 – Intel wireless broken on 11n for many users

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 20:46:11 UTC 2011

Ian Malone wrote:
> Were there any errors reported while running those commands? Has the
> machine been rebooted?
> If you do
> lsmod |grep nouveau
> Do you still see the nouveau module?
> Does
> lsmod |grep nv
> Show the old nv module or nvidia?
>
> I'm wondering if it's necessary to reboot between after adding the
> blacklist line and before doing dracut. If you reboot and nouveau is
> not showing up with the 'lsmod|grep nouveau' above, then it may be
> worth trying the dracut line again. Also the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> would be good to see.

Lawrence Graves <lgraves95 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the results of your questions? I am very grateful to you for all
> your help. See attached.

It looks like nouveau is still being loaded. If you can post the
/etc/X11/xorg.org file and /var/log/Xorg.0.log that might help pin
down the cause.

However, I think I missed out a necessary option for the dracut
command, try (again don't type the # they just indicate separate lines
run as root):
# mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img.bak
# dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

(For the record: I meant to suggest dracut -f which would force
overwrite of the existing initramfs file, however it's probably safer
to move it to a backup as in the two lines above.)

Sorry this is taking so much back-and-forth, I've been on your end of
this kind of thing and I know it's frustrating.

--
imalone