The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 20:05:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 15:59, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> what did you exactly not understand in "the percent does not matter"
> all this counts will not change the fact that workstations and
> powerusers will exist in 10 years as they do now

The percentage DOES matter in terms of GROWTH and MIND SHARE.
Mobile devices and mouse-less, or keyboard-less devices will be where
growth will be, often at a fraction of the cost of a traditional
computer.

In other words,  the ´new´ devices will grow and the traditional pc
environment will eventually stall.

If any OS decides to ´ignore´ this trend it will become a niche
market. An OS that is no longer talked about is often forgotten.
Remember IBM OS/2? It´s still for sale -and somewhat limited
development- under another brand at www.ecomstation.com. Will it grow?
hardly. Will anybody know about it 10 years from now? very unlikely.

That´s the reason why Linux cannot afford to ignore the new devices
and ´morphings´ of the computer to new aread, and why it must offer
UIs designed for these new devices and paradigms.

In fact, I worry that Canonical´s latest "get Ubuntu on TVs" might be
too late already.

Rest assured, nobody will be taking your XFCE and KDE desktops from
you, if you want to use them on a traditional PC.

But IMHO it´s desirable to see Linux moving into these new grounds.

Just my $0.02
FC
--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code