The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Dec 4 20:49:01 UTC 2011

Am 04.12.2011 21:05, schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 15:59, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> what did you exactly not understand in "the percent does not matter"
>> all this counts will not change the fact that workstations and
>> powerusers will exist in 10 years as they do now
>
> The percentage DOES matter in terms of GROWTH and MIND SHARE.
> Mobile devices and mouse-less, or keyboard-less devices will be where
> growth will be

you do NOT WANT to understand me

it does not matter in the context "we optimize all for the new
devices because a traditional pc is not cool enough"

where did i say any word that these devices sgould be ignored
or not supported as good as possible?

but it is dumb to make a desktop DEFAULT which ignores real
computers!

> often at a fraction of the cost of a traditional computer.

laughable, many of this new devices are at the same cost as
a traditional computer if you look at the real price and
not what your mobile providr pays for you

> In other words,  the ´new´ devices will grow and the traditional pc
> environment will eventually stall.

so what....

> If any OS decides to ´ignore´ this trend it will become a niche
> market.

who spoke about ignore them?

make a useable desktop for classical computers where you
can switch to a mobile-view, but do not handle every device
like a mbolie OR YOU BECOME A NICHE

> That´s the reason why Linux cannot afford to ignore the new devices
> and ´morphings´ of the computer to new aread, and why it must offer
> UIs designed for these new devices and paradigms.

did i say anything against this?

the problem is that childish developers forget real devices

> In fact, I worry that Canonical´s latest "get Ubuntu on TVs" might be
> too late already.

nobody needs a crippled distribution which does not fit well
on a tv and not on a real computer

for such things were and are specialized distributions
much better and there is no need to cripple down desktop
distributions

> Rest assured, nobody will be taking your XFCE and KDE desktops from
> you, if you want to use them on a traditional PC.

hopefully that the other developers will not get infected by
this "all for the new coll play-devices"