Bug 648732 – Intel wireless broken on 11n for many users

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Dec 5 20:32:04 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 09:44 PM, Lawrence Graves<lgraves95 at gmail.com>

>> >  I've got Lawrence's dmesg output and nouveau is being loaded very early on:
>> >
>> >  [7.591930] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
>> >  [7.613319] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A ->   GSI 16 (level, low) ->   IRQ 16
>> >  [7.613325] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

>> >  has the 'blacklist nouveau' line and successfully run:
>> >  dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>> >
>> >  If he has done these then does anyone know how nouveau could still get
>> >  loaded?

> I just placed rdblacklist=nouveau in the grub command line and also
> added it to the blacklist.conf file and then rebooted and nothing.

Nouveau probably got loaded because the initramfs is still the old one.
And the nvidia driver has not been installed/loaded so that dracut uses
*it* (instead of nouveau) when creating the new initramfs. The
...'rebooted and nothing' suggests that *no* video driver is being
loaded. Here is a recipe of steps for Lawrence to follow:

1	Add rdblacklist=nouveau to kernel grub line (done)
2	For the moment add rdblacklist=iwl4965 to the kernel grub line
3	Change your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file Device section to say Driver "vesa"
[ If using the nvidia binary run-file to install, change /etc/inittab to
boot into run-level 3 ( multi-user under systemd not 'graphical']
4	Reboot. This should get you through to the desktop *with the vesa
(basic) driver: no nouveau, no nvidia, no iwl4695.

5	Install the nvidia drivers using rpmfusion [ or the nvidia run file.]
6	Change the xorg.conf device section Driver line to Driver "nvidia"
7	Reboot.
You should now be using the nvidia driver at runlevel 3 (console).
8	Run 'lsmod  | grep nvidia', You should see  something like   'nvidia
11694654 30'
See what happens when you run 'startx'

9.	Run the 'dracut' command line given above to create a new initramfs
*with* nvidia and *without* nouveau (also without iwl4695 ATM)
10.	Change inittab to runlevel 5
11	Reboot. You should go right through to the graphical desktop.

At this point, nvidia will be working. But you will not have any
wireless. Reboot a couple of times, so you can bask in the splendour of
getting the nvidia driver installed.

12.	NOW and ONLY NOW, remove the rdblacklist=iwl4695 from the kernel
grub line. (You can remove or retain the nouveau reference)
13.	It has not been mentioned: do you have the firmware installed?
	Run 'yum install iwl4965-firmware'

	Now it gets interesting: see whether iwl4695 actually conflicts with
nvidia.

14.	Run 'modprobe iwl4695'
15.	Run 'lsmod | grep iwl4965' to check that it has been installed.
16	Use 'system-config-network' to configure your wireless.
	Check that it is working properly.
17	Re-run dracut to create a new initramfs *with* iwl4695.
18	Reboot to check.