FC16 newbe questions

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:30:43 UTC 2011

On Thursday 08 December 2011 09:10:54 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> So I skipped FC15.  I never worked on Vista of WIn7, always using the
> 'classic' windows desktop in XP.  So I have some REAL challenges
> adjusting th GNOME in FC16....
>
> Like where are my workspaces?  I work with 4 of them for my different
> set of jobs.  Maybe with the added memory on this lenovo, I might go
> with 6...

Activate "activities" by putting the mouse into the upper-left corner of the
screen. Then you can see a list of currently open workspaces on the far right
on the screen, where you can click to switch between them (and make an
indecent-for-public comment on mouse-mileage of the desktop design).

You don't get to have a predetermined number of 4 or 6 desktops. You start
with one, and as soon as you open some app on that one, another empty one will
be automatically created for you below that one, and so on.

The next question you'll probably post will be "where is the shutdown option
in the menu?", so let me save you the trouble and say that there isn't one.
You can get it by pressing the ALT button on the keyboard once you open the
menu.

And of course, you can always forgive&forget&switch to XFCE, KDE or LXDE. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko