how do you make Fedora 16 run a script at boot time, was: Fedora 16 black screen with Radeon HD 6470M: partially solved?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Dec 8 22:27:13 UTC 2011

Am 08.12.2011 23:16, schrieb M. Fioretti:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 23:00:29 PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> if you look in "systemctl list-unis" you find
>> prefdm.service loaded active running  Display Manager
>>
>> so make a one-shot service with the right dependency and enable it
>> with "systemctl enable yourservice.service "
>>

>> /etc/systemd/system/yourservice.service
>> [Unit]
>> Description=yourservice
>> Before=prefdm.service
>> [Service]
>> Type=oneshot
>> ExecStart=/path/to/our/script.sh
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> Harald,
>
> thanks for the quick answer. Just to be sure I understood everything:
>
> 1) is a syntax like this (normal shell script) OK for script.sh or is
>    there any special rule in these cases? Is "exit" OK at the end?

"exit 0" since 0 is the "job exited successfull" signal
i think exit implies this, but better ve explicit

> 2) shouldn't I put yourservice.service in
>    /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants instead?

NO do not touch this!

systemctl enable yourservice.service
systemctl disable yourservice.service

maintains the symlinks in "*.wants"

> 3) in /etc/systemd and its subfolders there is no file called
>    prefdm.service. Is this OK?

because it is in /lib/systemd/system/
there are all services from packages

/etc/systemd/system/ is for overwrite them or place own ones

systemctl enable/disable looks first in /etc/systemd/ and
if there is no overwrite/own service define it looks in /lib/systemd

> 4) where is all this documented anyway?

systemd
http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/