Fedora causes laptop to overheat

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Dec 12 04:16:55 UTC 2011

On 12/11/2011 10:48 PM, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 20:35:31 PM +0100, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>
>> one of the things I noticed rather fast was how much cooler my
>> system runs under XP... The HDD becomes unreasonably hot
>
> I am noticing similar behavior (and the consequent much shorter
> battery time) on a HP Pavilion g6-1273sl with these hw components:

  This is often due to dual graphics cards - the problem arises when one
is being used you think (say the intel i915) - the other one is actually
not off unless you work at it.

  The problem I saw solved used vga switcheroo to turn off the second
card - this was a bit manual as i recall (was also HP laptop).

  Symptom was same - very very bad battery life, and enormous temps.

  You can check this using powertop app and see where the battery is going.

  If you are have lenovo, you can solve this by turning second card off
in bios - sadly HP does not seem to offer that option ...

  gene/