Fedora causes laptop to overheat

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 12 13:34:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 17:28 +1100, Roger wrote:
> On warm days  the display goes haywire. I purchased a large cooling
> fan that blows air direct on the video card cpu cooler and it's been
> very stable for 3 weeks now.

It's not unknown for cooling fans to be inadequate, or for cards to only
bother cooling some of the parts, and let the rest roast.  It's a common
enough problem that devices were designed in a cool country, and are
unable to cope with the ambient temperature of a hot country.  And I
have had to similar things in the past.

But it's worth checking that the fans aren't stuffed with dust.  A
powered off fan ought to offer no resistance to your fingers, if you try
to rotate it.  And fans should start really quick when powered on.

Laptops and tower cases are the worst for getting clogged.  Laptops get
put on things that feed fluff straight into them, and towers get put on
the floor, sucking in more dirt than one placed on a desktop.

Also, the vents get blocked, and laptops tend to have smaller vents.
Mine get clogged up, and needs yearly blowing out.  It has a small
grille, inside the vent, and has little space to work around fluff that
gets pulled in.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686