abrtd - how to remove

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Dec 13 23:25:39 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 01:39 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 03:26 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:57:54 -0500
>> Genes MailLists<lists at sapience.com>  wrote:
>>

>>>    I just had the lovely experience of abrt trying to be helpful - a GUI
>>> crash - and wanting to download 1.2 GB of debuginfo files including
>>> things it quite obviously (to a human) does not need.
>>
>> It's not bright in some cases. Just tell it not to. The newest version of
>> abrt will upload dumps to a server to crunch instead which is a lot more
>> sociable.
>
> Which file sizes are you talking about?
>
> If these files are getting too big, users with, say GSM or low-bandwidth
> upstream connections may disagree.
>
> At least around here, it's common that a home user's DSL or cable
> connection's upstream bandwidth is a magnitude smaller than his
> downstream bandwidth.
>
> Ralf

  The files which are costly are the debuginfo packages.

  So, the traceback file is only a few KB - while the debuginfo is more
like 1.2 GB (in my case) ... so 3 orders of magnitude larger .. so even
if your upload is 10 times slower you're still 100 times better off.

  Plus - whatever data caps are in play (mobile broadband) will be more
impacted by the GB download than the small 1k upload upload ...

  gene/