md/raid1 fails to detect on boot

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Dec 14 12:08:24 UTC 2011

I have two RAID1 drives with multiple partitions.

Each time I reboot, one of the partitions comes up degraded with only one of
the two devices. The only thing that the kernel logs is:

[   13.327731] md/raid1:md3: active with 1 out of 2 mirrors

I can hot-add the other partition, and wait for mdadm to resync it, but on
the next reboot it's degraded again. This is getting old.

I note that both drives have md0 through md3. There are no defects on either
drive. And it's always md3 that fails to be assembled fully, when the kernel
boots.