What's up with fastestmirror?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Dec 17 00:05:28 UTC 2011

Am 17.12.2011 00:59, schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> I have a slow (1Mbps) connection at home, so I'm keen to reduce yum
> update times. The fastestmirror plugin ought to be good for someone like
> me, but I can't discover any rationale for how it's supposed to work.
> This is not helped by the complete absence of documentation.

currently this plugin is useless

it seems only to select by location which is as said useless
i am here in austria and it selects most of the time some
.cz servers - they were really fast two years ago (12 MB/Sek.)
but currently growing slowly

so as long the plugin is not able to measure real speed it
has no benefit - even if it woulld select closest mirrors this
is not the truth - vienna is as example the closest location

BUT testing with http://www.speedtest.net/ vienna is never reaching
my 100 Mbit - Linz which is 150 kilometers far away is much faster