F16 unusable while writing to pendrive

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 00:11:38 UTC 2011

This looks like a regression. Under F15 when I wrote large files to a
pendrive, the system would become a little sluggish. Now it essentially
freezes until the write terminates. What I mean is that the UI is almost
completely unresponsive; even clicking between two terminal windows is
so slow that you can see the window contents refresh, followed several
seconds later by the frame.

Fully updated F16 with KDE, Intel Core 2 Dual, 4GB RAM, Intel onboard
graphics. The pendrive is an 8GB Patriot Xporter (a year or two old)
under USB-2 with no intervening hub.

poc