fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Dec 18 01:55:42 UTC 2011

[edited and inline]

On 12/17/2011 6:57 AM, g wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 08:06 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> [...] took three tries and I don't understand why, but I was
>> able to get an image onto a USB.
> -=-
>
> "I don't understand why" what? that i worked? i is supposed to work. ;)
>
> main thing is that you got image saved.

The "why" was that I don't understand what failed the first two times so
I really don't know what I did different the last time ... but as you
said, I got the image and that's what matters

> -=-
>
> 2 possibilities;
>
>    1] your bios will not boot usb.
>    2] 'boot sector' procedure for usb is different from that of cd/dvd.
>
> solutions;
>
>    1] upgrade bios.
>    2] install correct 'boot sector'.
>
> [...]
> there are ways to boot usb when not enabled by bios, google search will
> show them.
>
> [...]
> this is true and why you need to upgrade bios.

George:

I was hoping that you'd tell me I was doing something wrong as I was
pretty certain the end result would be deal with the bios so I can boot
from USB or alternative from Google (which seems to be pointing me to
Plop). I checked HP's bios updates and didn't see any update which
talked about "adding USB boot support", so I'm going to try the Plop
method -- hopefully I will be able to get the confirm that the USB is
good before I reinstall original OS for hardware repair.

Thanks,
Paul