Progress on getting my desktop working properly

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Dec 19 04:00:25 UTC 2011

I've cleaned up all of the problems reported by package-cleanup.
Checking for dupes reported over 1400 duplicate packages; but telling it
to clean them hung the program.  I've spent the last several days
hacking away at this, little by little until I got down to about 1025 or
so, and tried again.  This time, it worked, although there were some
non-fatal errors in the post uninstall scripts.  Checking again, there
are no more dupes, no more problems.  I'm about to try a system update
via yumex and see what happens.

I suspect that I'm going to have to reboot, and will try rebooting to a
full graphic environment, using kdm instead of gdm.  If this fails and I
have to reboot to runlevel 3, what logs can I use to find out what isn't
working?