Hardware diagnostic tools? Interrupts?

Frederick N. Brier fnb.ml at multideck.com
Mon Dec 19 18:54:18 UTC 2011

I just upgraded my Fedora 16 development workstation from an AMD Phenom
II to an Intel i7 2600K on an Asus P8Z68-M Pro along with a Kingston
SSD. Unfortunately, I ran into a bit of a snag.  It hangs in the boot
process with the last line being:

ahci 0000: 06:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18

I used Phoronix to run some benchmarks on my system prior to the
install, but am wondering if there are some other tools that can help
diagnose hardware problems.  Please post any suggestions.  I ran memtest
for 4+ hours and the 16GB was perfect.  Oh, and I am not over clocking
anything.  The only other card in the system is an eVGA 7950GS.

My original boot drive was a 3Ware PCI 8xxx RAID controller with two 1TB
Samsung drives mirrored and using LVM.  The halt happens with this
system and with the Fedora 16 install DVD.  It did not happen with a
Linux Mint 12 install DVD or a Lubuntu install CD or earlier Fedora
releases (I think I tried an 8 or an 11).   They would all boot their
live images fine.

I had researched this motherboard before buying it and saw that it had
been used successfully by both Fedora and other Linux users. At the end
of this email, I will relate all the avenues thus far explored, but
believe at this point I may be dealing with an interrupt timing problem
with a 3Ware PCI 8xxx RAID controller.  So yesterday, I decided to give
the Lubuntu a try.  The RAID mirror was my main drive, but the SSD is
now my boot drive with the LVM volumes now having their mount points on
the SSD.  All seemed well so I thought perhaps it was a Fedora bug based
on some posts I read, however all of a sudden, the LVM partitions
started getting I/O errors. /proc/mounts would show the partitions
mounted rw, but as soon as there was an error, it would change to ro. At
that point, any read to the 3Ware partitions would generate an error and
update the /proc/mounts to ro.  I could copy upwards of 20GB of data
with no problem, but then boom.

This is my first motherboard with UEFI. Initially, I tried disabling
features to get it the F16 install DVD to boot. At one point,
configuring the SATA drives to use IDE instead of AHIC, it got to the
point of display a white background with a cursor, but was hung at that
point. I also noted that the Scroll and Num lock keys would cause the
keyboard LEDs to blink once, but did not stay on. Very strange.

Once a upon a time, there was a Fedora release where I had to insert a
delay in the boot parameters because the 3Ware controllers (9550SX and
9650SE) were taking too long to initialize. Are there parameters to
tweak the 3w-xxxx driver?  Or am I dealing with a defective Asus
motherboard? Most of the time, a feature in a defective motherboard will
just not work, like a keyboard/mouse controller, Ethernet port, slot, or
video. Memory can be flaky, but motherboards not so much.  Thoughts?
Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Fred