gnome 2.3 desktop shows home/me not home/me/Desktop

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:32:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> T.C.:
>
> Thanks. I dug into it and found Apps->Nautilus->Desktop->Preferences and a
> tick box about Desktop_Is_Home_Dir which looks exactly like what I need to
> correct given its description and the problem I am seeing. Unfortunately, it
> doesn't seem to do anything (I am logging out and logging back in to make
> sure each test is with a fresh start-up ... I can't believe that I would
> need to reboot for something like this).

Settings frobbed in gconf-editor usually take effect immediately in my
(admittedly limited) experience.  A logout should definitely suffice.
There must be something else going on.

This is a long shot, but take a look at "~/.config/user-dirs.dirs".
Is XDG_DESKTOP_DIR set to "$HOME/Desktop" as it should be?

-T.C.