[OT] Re: Fedora vs openSUSE

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Dec 21 20:25:02 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:04 AM, g wrote:
> even then, when i power back up, i go back into same dsl block;
>
>    (adsl-184-41-x-x.mem.bellsouth.net[184.41.x.x])

Sorry to respond twice.  It only just occurred to me that I should
comment on this as well.  What your ADSL modem connects to at the phone
company isn't a modem or a router, but I can't remember any more what
it's called.  (It's been eight years since I needed to know.)  However,
if you think of it as a dumb router that does nothing except DHCP and
passing packets, you'll be close enough.  The point is, that device has
a fixed pool of IP addresses, all from the same subnet, to pass out.
Thus, as long as you're connecting to that device, you're going to get
an address from the same block.