/var/log/messages

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Dec 22 18:45:46 UTC 2011

> If this is true, it does seem like a radical change. What possible
> argument could there be for not logging by default?

I recently saw that the proper way to shut down Linux from the command
line is poweroff.  The old command halt now halts the processor but
doesn't shut down the power.  Where's the logic in that?  I think that
what we're seeing here is change for the sake of change, not for the
sake of progress being driven by devs who only ask "can I do this," and
not "will this be better."