Buy an SSD now, or wait?

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Dec 22 18:47:56 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 10:18 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 22.12.2011, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>
>> I just wondered if anyone here has had any experience in using SSDs in
>> general, and with Fedora in particular? I am thinking about an upgrade, but
>> I am uncertain whether it is worth it to invest in an SSD now, or let the
>> technology ripen for a few more years.
>
> It depends on your needs and personal taste. In my opinion, SSD
> harddrives are just too expensive. I am quite satisfied with my
> 7200rmp SATA disks.

And this is how we didn't get a color TV for a long time. My father kept
saying we should wait until it was perfected.  :-)

With tech, it will always be faster, cheaper, and better next year.  If
you can use the benefit now and it's hit your price point, buy it. If
it's not at your price point, wait a bit.

--
-- Steve