Listings Question About Ping

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 23 01:40:35 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 5:36 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

> I remember, once, chasing this down from /etc/bashrc to some other
> file and, IIRC, a third file that contains the definitions.  I was
> very unhappy to learn that all of the definitions were numeric and
> there was no key included to help you figure out what's what.  (I know
> that there's a listing somewhere of the names of all the standard
> colors, and I'd have been happy if that file had used them, because
> that's what I'd been looking for.)  It was several years ago, and I
> don't remember just where it was, but you should be able to find it
> with a little patience and persistence.  Once there, you can change
> the settings to whatever you want, but be sure and keep a record
> because sooner or later it'll be over-written and you'll have to do it
> again.  That's why I came up with that alias in the first place, so I
> wouldn't have to remember what file to edit every time it changed.

Joe:

Thanks for info.

And no worries about not keeping a record of any changes ... I always
save originals and modified (with documentation if appropriate) as I
don't trust my memory. Especially with an evolving opSys like Fedora
where I not only have to keep track of my changes but track Fedora's to
avoid "future feature conflict"

Paul