Listings Question About Ping

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 23 07:08:46 UTC 2011

On 12/22/2011 10:55 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Welcome....
>
> BTW, if you want to know all of the aliases defined for your current
> session just type "alias".  By default the system sets up more than just
> aliases for "ls".

Ed:

I am very familiar with the command alias. I just made a blind
assumption that "ls" was not modified as I have seen root's version and
figured (naively) that any such changes would be in the .bashrc file ...
forgetting /etc/.bashrc.

That being said, I do think I will take a dive into "what has Fedora
decided is the best usage and overridden the default". I suspect I will
be surprised, but I promise that I will do my screaming in the general
direction of my backyard and not this list.

Thanks,
Paul