getting the nologin users out of the login dialog

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 09:08:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 12:57 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

>> > It's quite possible it's a bug in the login manager.  If you're using gdm,
>> > try switching to kdm, or the other way around.  If it only shows up in one,
>> > report it.
>>
>> Okay, that sounds like a fun thing to try. (Well, since Bruno reported
>> it, I can just track the bug, instead.)
>>
>> Any idea where I should start on switching to kdm? I kept reading
>> something about a switcher application, I suppose I should look at
>> that some more?
> ----
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2011-May/009431.html

Thanks!

Okay, so I created

    /etc/sysconfig/desktop

with the lines

    DESKTOP="KDE"
    DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

and X11 gives me gives me the kde login screen. (At least, I've never
seen the gnome login screen provide all those great options, like
restarting the X server. :-)

But I don't get a user list. Just the user name and password fields,
which is not bad, and my family can probably get used to it, but it
doesn't really tell me what's happening.

Nosing around the web, I found the kdm docs,

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-workspace/kdm/kdm-files.html

and there's a UserList option in there. So I go edit
/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc , change UserList to true and it ignores me. Must
be some file that overrides that in Fedora.

The description of the options tells me a lot, however. It looks like
the new specification here is to show all users in a specified range
which have a defined password. Or you can hard-wire your list of
users.

That's a serious spec bug, and I guess I'll have to go hassle the
freedesktop group about it.

The previous chapter describes KDE's GUI configuration tool, which I
have not got, I suppose I should load that and see if I can get it to
change something for me.