Grub2 upgrade issue.

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 19:37:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Michael D. Setzer II
<mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> I'm working on upgrading my classroom lab from Fedora 14 to 16
> and doing a test on one system. Most things have gone ok with a
> few issues.
>
> 1. X11 didn't come up after the upgrade from dvd, but deleting
> xorg.conf fixed that.
> 2. Running yum update afterwards would found over 400 updates,
> but it would crash even with --skip-broken. Fixed that by using
> yumex, and doing small groups of updates, and then skipping just
> the ones that caused problem.

package-cleanup has options that may be able to help with this,
specifically --orphans, --problems, and --dupes.  See "man
package-cleanup" for more info.

> 3. Desktop icons missing from programs that were there before.
> installing gnome-tweak-tool seems to have gotten what I want.
> 4. Issue with grub.conf update. Didn't notice that there was a
> change in the grub process. The new grub2 got the Fedora
> options, and the os-probe seems to have gotten the XP that is on
> the machine. Two other options that were in the original xorg.conf
> are missing, and the memtest was also gone. Got memtest by just
> running the setup process, but not clear what would be the best
> option for the other two. Perhaps the 40_custom. Remotely
> accessing the system from home via VNC, so thought might get
> some expert advice.

Yup, just add your new entries to 40_custom and rerun grub2-mkconfig.

You'll need to rewrite them for GRUB2.  Arch Linux has an good
overview of writing custom GRUB2 entries:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Configuration

And, the complete syntax for GRUB2 menu entries is listed in their manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

-T.C.