Why updatedb doesn't traverse my external HD?

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 22:04:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> People keep saying that /media is mounted on tmpfs, but what the mount
> tells me is that tmpfs is mounted on /media. Which sounds screwy to me.

tmpfs is a filesystem type, like ext4.  Because it's not associated
with a device, the filesystem type is also displayed in the portion of
mount's output that the device associated with the mountpoint is
usually displayed.

If you look closely, you'll notice that sysfs (/sys), selinuxfs, and
other such "special" filesystems do the same thing.

-T.C.