Can't start gdm

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Dec 25 01:46:18 UTC 2011

I tried installing kdm and modifying /etc/sysconfig/desktop to use it,
but X is still trying to use gdm.  I'm not sure, but it might be because
I was told to specify KDE, not KDM.  However, I'm now getting a log file
from gdm that contains this:

gnome-session[1537]: ERROR: Unable to open '/etc/dconf/db/gdm',
specified in dconf profile

Checking, there isn't any such file, and the dconf profile reads as follows:

user
gdm

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm going to try uninstalling and
reinstalling gdm, as I'm not sure at this point that simply having yum
reinstall it is sufficient.  (See, I do learn from other people's
experience.)