default browser settings in Thunderbird changed by updates overnight

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Dec 25 15:13:48 UTC 2011

On 12/25/2011 11:01 PM, Claude Jones wrote:
> Clicking an html link from within a Thunderbird message now opens
> Chrome. It has been set to Firefox for a long time. This appears to
> have changed since yesterday, and last night I did run a huge number
> of new updates.
>
> Funny thing is, the settings in about:config in Thunderbird still
> dictate firefox as the preferred browser:
>
> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/usr/bin/firefox
> network.protocol-handler.app.http;/usr/bin/firefox
> network.protocol-handler.app.https;/usr/bin/firefox
>
> Checking "System settings\Default Applications\web Browser" (in KDE)
> also shows Firefox configured as default browser
>
> Where else can this behavior be controlled. I would like to know which
> package update caused this behavior to change so I can file a bug
> report, but I'm not sure. Looking at the long list of updates last
> night, there were updates for both Firefox and Thunderbird, but not
> for Chrome. I can't imagine Thunderbird changing the defaut browser to
> open from links, and the settings still seem correct.
>
> Ideas?

First, it is late here and I'm not quite sure what browser you want as
your "default" browser....but I can tell you I ran into what I think is
the same situation.

I want TBird to open Chrome....and it had been doing so since my install
of F16.  But, after the same updates, it was opening FireFox.  I'm also
using KDE.  Well, my solution was to login under GNOME and start Chrome
there...when I did, it said it wasn't the default browser and asked if
it should be set as default...and I said yes.  Back to KDE and all is well.

I think it has do do with FireFox and TBird being gtk apps while KDE
apps are qt.  Anyway all is back the way I want it...so maybe you need
to try something similar.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless