Giving Up On Fedora

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Sun Dec 25 15:37:36 UTC 2011

On 12/25/2011 09:25 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 25.12.2011, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
>
>> The main was stuck at boot, after first reboot and installing Nvidia
>> drivers.
> This is not a Fedora issue, but an nvidia one. The nvidia drivers are
> proprietary software, which means that you're on your own. Switching
> to another distribution won't help either, unless they use a fixed
> version of that driver.

That's not necessarily true.  I was running the rawhide version of Fedora with the nouveau drivers and it would hang on me
constantly and/or, if I didn't turn off acceleration in the kernel line, it wouldn't start at all.  So it's not necessarily an
nVidia issue completely.  Here's the thing....it's difficult to buy a laptop today that doesn't have an nVidia video card and so it
behooves nVidia, the nouveau developers, and the kernel developers to get their sh*t together (pardon my french) and get these
problems fixed.  I have a system hang at least once a day these days running either the nVidia or the nouveau drivers against the
latest rawhide kernels.  The other thing that could be adding to this is the fact that every time I do an update there are about 30
X packages that can't get updated due to missing dependencies (again, this is rawhide) so it could be that there is something
"fixed" in one or more of those packages that would alleviate some of the hang issues...won't know until the dependency issues are
resolved (there's a note about this in the rawhide docs but there's no end date in sight for when these issues will be resolved).

Kevin