Giving Up On Fedora

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Sun Dec 25 16:11:37 UTC 2011

On 12/25/2011 10:00 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 25.12.2011, Kevin Martin wrote:
>
>> I have a system hang at least once a day these days running either the nVidia or the nouveau drivers against the
>> latest rawhide kernels.
> I have never used any distribution kernel longer than during the
> distr. installation period, and have never encountered any problems with my
> nvidia based machines and nouveau. Not a single issue. No hangs,
> nothing.
>
> This must not neccessarily have to mean something, of course.

That's why I'm not entirely convinced it's the video drivers that are the only cause.  I get the feeling that there's more to it
than that but can't capture any relevant data as the hangs sometimes occur while I'm actually doing something and other times they
happen when the machine is in screensaver mode.  And when I say it hangs, I mean it hangs hard, no keyboard response, no network,
nothing.  I thought I may have a hardware issue but I've run multiple tests and even taken it in to a repair shop and we've not
found any hardware issues.

Kevin