After a while, dolphin, konqueror (and other KDE apps) won't start...

Steven P. Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 01:30:57 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 09:08 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>
>> Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
>> klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_file'.
>>
>> Here is the output of "qdus", as well as a strace for three different
>> applications that exhibit this issue:
>> http://tinypaste.com/d4d1b2c1 (dolphin)
>> http://tinypaste.com/d2d9bc1c (konqueror)
>> http://tinypaste.com/35f50887 (ksysguard)
>> http://tinypaste.com/4761c6cb (qdbus)
>>
>> If you need any more information, let me know.
>
> Each of those seem to get stuck in the same place:
>
> connect(21, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path=@"/tmp/fam-steve-"}, 110<unfinished
> ...>
>

> So, seems to have something to with fam/gamin not responding
>
> -- rex

I just ran "ps -aux | grep gam" and the result was this:
"steve     1918  0.0  0.0  14028  1132 ?        S    Dec23   0:00
/usr/libexec/gam_server"

I thought, Hmm, December 23rd was two days ago.  So, I ran "kill 1918"
and guess what happened?  Immediately, Amarok and Ksysguard (which I had
recently attempted to start) opened up...  I have a feeling that if I
had recently made failed attempts at starting Dolphin and Konqueror,
that they would have opened up as well.

All of this opens up a few new questions, but at least I know how to get
around the issue of non-starting KDE apps.  We now know that it
definitely has something to do with "gam_server"  We just don't know WHY
it is behaving this way.

Steven P. Ulrick