Implementing a "sometimes" RAID on a laptop. (eSATA, SSD, RAID 1)

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 07:04:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM, suvayu ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never heard of any "sometimes" RAID setup. I don't think that
> is possible.

I know... it was a longshot.

I would say just do incremental backups every night.
> There are many tools, rsync being the most commonly used. If you use
> LVM, you could also try taking LVM snapshots.

I think I'll use luckybackup or something similar.

> I personally use rsnapshot, a wrapper around rsync, to back up every
> night. So far it has saved me countless times.

I like the fact these tools allow one to save a number of snapshots so
that if you want to look for something from a month ago, you have a
chance of finding it.   And they back up without ballooning the
storage requirements as time goes on, other than when you have more
data on your drive.