Firefox 9 on F16 can not set Home Page

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 30 23:16:17 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2011 10:33 PM, Kevin Martin wrote:
<>

> if that was "grep -l bing *" then you would get a list of the files that
> have the word bing in them and you *might* be able to work with that (like
> delete unnecessary files or edit them if there are ascii).
-=-

from 'man grep'

+++
 -l, --files-with-matches
    Suppress normal output; instead print the  name  of  each  input
    file  from  which  output would normally have been printed.  The
    scanning will stop on the first match.
+++

which to my understand would only show 1 file's listing, or 1st match in
each file. without the '-l', he gets *all* lines of all files containing
'bing'. i have never used '-l', so i can not say just how it works.

> However, wouldn't it just be easier to stop firefox, move the directory
> o8u6238s.default out of the way, and then restart firefox with a new
> profile?  That should take care of the bing issue once and for all.
-=-

good point, and in a respect, yes. it would prove that problem is in his
current profile and not with firefox itself.

but he would have to go thru all configurations again and load in all of
his add-ons to safely use new profile.

i tend to believe that 'bing' problem is with an add-on and would/should
have proved out with restarting firefox with add-ons disabled. but it
did not.

because "browser.startup.homepage" is not in his 'about:config', there
in lies a part of his problem, which maybe that something is not allowing
his configuration setting to take. which is another problem in itself.

_normally_, firefox runs very well in linux. when it does not, it can
be a 'pita' to find problems. more so than with oos.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**