F16 - a good experience

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 01:55:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 16:10:37 +0100, PVDM (paul) wrote:

> Installation was fine, also extra installed packages via rpmfusion OK.
> However 2 remarks.
> - upgrade from F14 to F16 seems to work but is not perfekt in cleaning up
> old packages (I think this is not an intended upgrade path, but anyway)

It's normal that certain types of retired/obsolete packages are not
removed automatically. You need to erase them yourself (or roll your
own packages for software that still exists upstream). There is no
global garbage collector meta package in Fedora, which would remove
such packages. But there are tools like "package-cleanup" from yum-utils,
which you can use to find --orphans, or "yum list extras".

> - selecting of test-updates is not flawless, there are some package
> dependency issues I think, e.g. in gcc and perl-ExtsUtils-MakeMaker, so i
> suggest don't use

Bad idea.

Ignoring updates-testing bears a risk that an update is declared stable,
because nobody is aware of the dependency issues (and the automated check
run by AutoQA is both easy to ignore and not reports false positives,
too).

Figure out the reason for the issues and report that in bugzilla or
directly in the Fedora Updates System "bodhi".
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates