Gnome3 - Forced Fallback Mode

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Dec 31 06:48:33 UTC 2011

I've been running Fedora 9 thru 14 in my lab over the years, but
these issues have me stumped.

Gnome3 works fine on some of my systems, but unfortunately my
classrooms machines with Nvidia Geoforce FX 5200 cards it only
works about 80%.

I've tired using gnome-tweak-tool, gconf-editor, and dconf-editor,
but have failed to find a solution that completely works.

gnome-tweak-tool comes the closest with using the Font option
and then changing the Text scaling factor to something else and
then back to 1.0. This will fix the text on the top panel/bar and the
gnome3 application list will show the text correctly in the far right
panel, but it does not stay set after a logout and requires manually
doing it after the next sign in.

Tried using strace to send the output to a file, but in just making
that one change it produced ofter 200,000 lines of output. Lots of
gettimeofday lines and others that I was able to filter out, but still
left me with 10,000 lines that did seem to have anything obvious
that might be a way to automate this process.

The gconf-editor and dconf-editor had lots of options, but none
seemed to be what I was looking for. There was a scaling factor,
but it didn't make the process work.

Setting the Forced Fallback mode does get it working with the old
menu style, but loses the gnome3, which seems to work mostly?
But this still leaves the sign on screen with issues.

Then Sign in screen has the top panel/bar with what looks like
light and dark brown lines going across the screen. The date/time
is all bunched up in the center and most characters are
unreadable. The 3 icons on the right are also messed up, but
mousing over them gets them to display properly while over them.
Click on the date/time displays the calander, but only parts of it
displays correctly. What should be Saturday December 31, 2011
shows up with    urd y December   , 20  . With the missing
charcters as blurred versions. The calendar below shows all the
text and numbers fine. In the Sign in Panel itself the Fedora Icon
shows up again as a number of brown lines at the moment, but it
sometimes has different colores, and sometines blocks of various
colors rather and the image. One time it did show the image
correctly, and the names were showing up in the older style, but
then a restart went back to the gnome3 style.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11634444.666745   |   EINSTEIN     7064750.339851
ROSETTA      4089587.875779   |   ABC         10117856.149962