Desktop "stickiness" under Fedora-16/KDE

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Dec 31 14:05:24 UTC 2011

On 12/31/2011 09:36 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> My desktop siezes up every hour or so;
> I can continue in the current desktop,
> but cannot change to another desktop
> or go to another application by clicking on an icon in the panel.
>
> The problem cures itself in 20-30 seconds,
> so it is not life-threatening.
>
> I killall-ed upowerd, but that didn't do the trick.
> There is nothing untoward in /var/log/messages.
>
> The problem could be to do with Firefox or KDE or Fedora;
> I'm not sure which.
>
> I've seen a few comments on this,
> but has anyone found a cure?

FWIW, I'm running a fully updated F16/KDE system.  Normally I have
Chrome, Thunderbird, and one or two VirtualBox VM's running...and maybe
Google Earth.  I've got 8GB of RAM and swap is not being used.  I run 6
desktops and have never seen a "lockup" or "stickiness" condition you've
described.

Where have you see others report this?  I may have missed it on this
list....

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless