RS880 Audio Device (Radeon HD 4200) HDMI sound interface difficulties

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sat Dec 31 23:54:33 UTC 2011

> Does anyone know if there are special drivers that are needed for this.

I don't know if this is one of the ATI cards that falls in the
unsupported category or not, but there are definitely ATI HDMI
cards out there with no HDMI audio support in current released kernels.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNDY

possibly includes your card (not sure though).

You may have to install the ATI proprietary drivers (if they'll
work with F16, which is also iffy :-).

Tom,

Thanks for the response.  I was afraid of that.  I don't think my skill
set allows me to safely try out their drivers.  I already tried to
install akmod-catalyst and ruined my gui.  Thanks for your suggestion,
Looks like I may need to wait on a 3.3 kernel unless someone else has
unlocked this problem.

Greg