Where to set ENV vars for use at boot time

Donald Russell russell.don at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:20:16 UTC 2011

I'd like to set the FSCK_FORCE_ALL_PARALLEL environment variable so fsck
uses it when it runs when the system is coming up. (i.e. after a shutdown -F
)

I don't know where to set these sorts of environment variables...
/etc/profile.d/* seems to be too late. I tried /etc/sysconfig/init but I
don't think that had the desired effect, or my value of 1 was not meaningful
to fsck.... the man pages say only that the environment variable affects
fsck, it doesn't say that variable needs a specific value.

Where are env variables set if you want them to affect processes that bring
the system up, such as these FSCK_* variables?

Thanks