SeLinux, should I disable it?

peter_someone dionysosjuenger at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 22:53:26 UTC 2011

Am 2011-01-22 22:20, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> On Saturday 22 January 2011 15:03:46 Parshwa Murdia wrote:
>> After I install F14 (KDE), how should I disable SeLinux? Because more
>> of the time it gives alerts and it is highly technical in nature to
>> understand the SeLinux (for a normal person, not from computers).
> No you should not disable it. It is there to protect your system, and if you
> are not a technical person, leave it as it is and don't mess with it.
>
> Also, if you are using your computer just for ordinary desktop stuff, you
> should never see any alerts.
>
> You might provoke alerts if you are setting up servers or custom 3rd party
> software or messing around the filesystem with root privileges. However, in all
> those circumstances you are expected to be a non-beginner, to know what you
> are doing, and to be able to resolve any SELinux alerts as they come (or ask
> someone for help). Otherwise SELinux should Just Work (tm), and you should not
> see any issues with it.
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

I do wonder though - lots of distros don't use SELinux. Do they (say,
Debian) use something else instead? Meaning: can I assume that if I
disable SELinux and install I don't gufw or somethign equally simple
that Fedora will be less secure than before but still just as safe as
the next distro?

greetings,
peter