Fedora Security and the Uverse 3800HGV-B router

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 14:50:18 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011 01:32 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 02.07.2011 06:14, schrieb JD:
>
>> When will the linux community wake up and shout out loud:
>> Kill JavaScript from all browsers and all network servers
>> and network clients
> never because the community is not dumb
> why do we not forbid knifes since people are killed with them?
Not the same issue.
Most people are not even aware that their personal
files are being uploaded.
>> It is THE trojan horse hiding in plain site and can access
>> EVERYTHING on your system that YOU have access to and
>> send it back to whatever destination the javascript was
>> written to send it to.
> if you would have a little background you would know that
> as example you can not select and upload files as example
If a javascript can browse all accessible files, what's there
to prevent someone from writing a javascript to spawn
a process to upload your files?
A simpler example, how do you think a javascript can
tell that you have been to some particular site?
It uploads your cookies.

>> Common people! JAVASCRIPT being executed by your
>> browser on  your system is a HUGE WIDE OPEN SECURITY HOLE!!!
> so stop whining and install "noscript" and click not on every link
> wanting remove javascript from the browsers is polemic and childish

Yes, I do have noscript.
And in addition, Firefox gives us  the option
to disable javascript under the tab
Edit->Preferences->Content
However, hundreds of millions of people are
oblivious to this threat.
If it is not made a public issue, people will not
become aware of it and continue to be invaded
and their personal files be compromised.
And I was not expecting the router to send
such javascript at me, so I had allowed scripts for it.
What a surprise that was!
I would have hoped that the FOSS communities would have
raised a big public fuss (pun unintentional) over websites
sending javascripts at peoples' computers and compromising
their files.