Gnome Q: Application window save-data for restore when reopened?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Jul 3 19:04:04 UTC 2011

I am sorry if this question was asked before,
but I was wondering why is it, that most app-
lication's main window do not restore it's
last save-data the next time it is opened?
What I am talking about is window position
and size data, but not limited to these only.

How many times does an application have to be
repositioned & resized every time it is opened?

We do have a startup session save for apps
that supports session-saves, and restores
saved apps to its last position, size, & workspace
locations. (BTW, as of F13, session-saves do not
work well.) In any case, session-saves are for
applications that will be restored when a new
session is opened.  But this is a different application
for a specific purpose.

If I am not being clear, let me try to explain.

Let's take an application such as Totem.

Now if one opens Totem, one notes that this app
positions itself at the top-left corner with a rather
large window size. Annoyed, totem is repositioned,
resized for viewing pleasure. Now, I am done with
totem, I closed it.  Later in time, I decided to open
Totem again, and the behaviour is exactly the same
as before, top-left and a large window size.  Drat!

If there was window-app save-data, the next time
Totem opened, apps window would obtain the save-
data and reposition and resize the app is exactly as
it was the last time it was opened.

Further, is there a Gnome application design framework,
that includes built-in support for application save-data
which include things as position, size, workspace location
session-save hooks, and any window specific save-data
so that designers will automatically have this code when
developing new windows applications? (Yeah, dream on?)

It would also be nice if this was standardized, so that a
Desktop configuration tool would recognize these apps
and allow for Global & User property changes saved
either in the the global or user's (~/.config "database")
or whatever is appropriate.