Installing F15 without any active network?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 4 19:50:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 14:29 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 14:13 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
> >> I have been installing f15 on several machines without any issue - but
> >> today I was asked to help someone install f15 on a machine which
> >> currently does not have a network connection (all previous installs
> >> were on machines with an active network connection).
> >>
> >> I may be a complete idiot but I could not for the life of me fathom
> >> out how to get the install to complete in this situation - it pops up
> >> a request to define the network a few steps into the install, and then
> >> will simply not proceed saying that some parts of the install require
> >> a network connection - clicking cancel then only gave the option of
> >> quitting the install altogether!
> >>
> >> Have I missed something obvious?
> >
> > Yes, you've omitted to say how you're doing the install. Without knowing
> > that, no-one can tell you what to do other than guessing.
>
> Ahh!  It was from a physical DVD - with the DVD install iso - nothing
> fancy - just a straightforward install as I have been doing since FC1
> days - this is the first time I have come across any problem doing a
> standalone clean install from a DVD disk - it looks like it may be
> trying to activate updates when I was only after a basic install from
> the DVD (reason is that I was trying to install ahead of the network
> people amending the local LAN database to include the NIC MAC in the
> next few days - so until that is done there will be no network access
> or IP address assigned from DHCP - but getting the install done should
> have been a time saver in the meantime)
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> mike c

The original request for a network connection should not have to be
done. The real problem arises when you are trying to installer the
repos. Without a network active you cannot install the repo references.
But the rpms on the disk should be installable. Afterwoods you will have
installer the repos and do a general yum upddate.
There are twenty-five people left in the world, and twenty-seven of them
are hamburgers. -- Ed Sanders
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net