Installing F15 without any active network?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 4 20:33:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 21:14 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > That is not an installer bug. If you have a network connection and have
> > defined repos the installer updates the rpms during the install process.
> > So after the install completes your system is completely updated, so
> > running :yum updates
> > returns no rpms to update. Without the repos and the network connection
> > you get only the rpms on the original DVD.
> >
> > I am not sure what happened in your case but I ignored the early request
> > for a network connection and the installation continued.
> >
> > Did you use the: "Install a new system or upgrade an existing system"
> > option?
>
> Install new system was the option - if you go from there you don't
> reach any repo definition options in the steps until you hit this
> problem immediately after trying to click to move on from the
> bootloader section.
>
> --
> mike c

Something is really wrong. Using the standard Fedora 15 DVD there is no
option "Install new system". Check the Fedora 15 Installation Guide and
you will see that this is true. Your DVD is not the standard one so who
knows what the installer does.

I have installed Fedora 15 from the DVD and I can testify that you do
not have to set up the network option that appears just after you set
the host name and just before you set the Time for the installation to
continue.
The average individual's position in any hierarchy is a lot like pulling
a dogsled -- there's no real change of scenery except for the lead dog.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net