Disk encryption using ecryptfs fails: "You do not own that encrypted directory"

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:17:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

A friend of mine told me ubuntu offers a ecryptfs based solution,
where only a directory is encrypted (therefor no need for seperate
partitions or ugly image files),and which is mounted automatically
using the user's password at logon time.

I discovered with Fedora-15 I can do the same using ecryptfs and the
appropriate pam module.

I used the tutorial at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EcryptfsAuthConfig, but
everytime I try to create a private encrypted folder, I get the error
attached at the end of the email.

Any ideas whats going wrong?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

[ce at localhost ~]$ ecryptfs-setup-private
/sbin/restorecon
/sbin/restorecon
Done configuring.
Testing mount/write/umount/read...
You do not own that encrypted directory
ERROR:  Could not mount private ecryptfs directory