FC14, sleeping forever

Hugh Caley hcaley at rocketsoftware.com
Thu Jul 14 20:15:47 UTC 2011

> Subject:
> FC14, sleeping forever
> From:
> Tod Thomas <fr33zone at gmail.com>
> Date:
> 06:07 AM
>
> To:
> Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>

> I've got a virtual FC14 image running under virtual box on a win7
> laptop.  Something hung it up yesterday and I had to hard boot  the
> image.  Now when I try and restart it progresses to a point of almost
> completing and stops with the message "No root device found.  Boot has
> failed, sleeping forever.
>
> I have a feeling I've hosed my boot partition or I've somehow confused
> grub.  Has anybody run into this that might have a quick solution?
> I've only got the virtualbox image to work with, no snapshots or
> backups :(
>

> Thanks - Tod

You'll need to boot the VM off of a rescue disk; the Fedora 14 install
disk will do it.  Then you can try fscking your boot disk, and if that
doesn't fix it you can run grub-install per the rescue instructions
(available online).  If THAT doesn't work, you'll probably need to
reinstall.  I personally don't know of any easier way to do it; it's
almost certainly one of 2 things:

1. your grub installation is messed up (so it can't find your root disk)
2. your root disk is messed up

Hugh

--
*/Hugh Caley/