Software update has bugs

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 14 20:27:34 UTC 2011

Under KDM I asked for software updates and got an option called Get and
Remove Software. I ran it and chose to add the Content group. I was
shown the three documents I could add. One on Python, one on Java and
one on Linux drivers. I chose to install the first and third. Processing
started until I  was told another  dependency must be installed. I said
continue and the system asked me for a passwd authorization. I entered
the only passwds that seemed possibly relevant and both were rejected

Ok, I started again . At the place where it asked me for a passwd
previously it stated that I had not entered an authorizing passwd and
quit. So I could not proceed further.

I tried to use Gnome to do the same thing. When I searched for Get or
Remove .. the only relevant application I was shown was KPackageKit.
When I ran that I was given the option to Get and Remove Software, which
I ran, entered the passwd which should work and it did.

Now I pressed my luck and ran another option called Software Update.
Which attempted it said to find updates but failed. The same option
under KVM also failed.

However, in Gnome under Software Tools the Software Update application
succeeds.

Have other people fond the  same bug or am I going crazy again?
You can't learn too soon that the most useful thing about a principle is
that it can always be sacrificed to expediency. -- W. Somerset Maugham,
"The Circle"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net