NM_CONTROLLED=no not working

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 05:11:32 UTC 2011

On Friday, July 15, 2011 08:14:43 PM Rick Sewill wrote:
> On Friday, July 15, 2011 02:48:53 PM Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > I feel like I'm losing my mind.  Can someone confirm that this is
> > supposed to work before I bugzilla this?
> >
> > I am trying to get NetworkManager to ignore my wireless adapter (while
> > still managing my Ethernet adapter and VPN connections).  I have created
> >
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0:
> >    DEVICE=wlan0
> >    TYPE=Wireless
> >    HWADDR=00:23:14:12:C1:38
> >    NM_CONTROLLED=no
>
> Does the following work?
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"

It was a long shot if NM_CONTROLLED="no" works...documentation indicates
NM_CONTROLLED=no should work.  I think what you have should work too....

Documentation says one must have the correct HWADDR address.
Looking at your followup emails, it appears you have the correct HWADDR
address.  Another long shot...documentation suggests you can have
HWADDR=00:23:14:12:C1:38 as you have...but as an experiment,
please put quotes around the MAC address
HWADDR="00:23:14:12:C1:38"

Why am I asking for quotes around things?  I'm not sure how NetworkManager
"reads" ifcfg-wlan0.  It may have internal routines for reading the file -or-
it may use a shell (like the bash shell) to read ifcfg-wlan0.
I believe the non-NetworkManager network has scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts that use the bash shell to read  ifcfg-wlan0.
I am trying to guess what syntax might make NetworkManager and
non-NetworkManager happy.  To tell the truth, what you have should work.
I just want to rule out this possibility.

Another line of questions.
What is in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf?
I have the following:
rsewill at rsewill:~ <3:1> $ more /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[main]
plugins=ifcfg-rh
According to the documentation,  man NetworkManager.conf,
on a Redhat/Fedora system, one might have plugins=ifcfg-rh and/or keyfile
If one has both, the order the plugins are listed matters.
For example, do you have plugins=ifcfg-rh -or-  plugins=keyfile
-or- plugins=ifcfg-rh,keyfile -or- plugins=keyfile,ifcfg-rh?
Ideally you will say you have plugins=ifcfg-rh and we still won't have an idea
what is wrong.  It's a possibility that needs to be ruled out.