dovecot-lda as local mailer and access to manage sive

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Wed Jul 20 22:43:50 UTC 2011

I am using Fedora 14.

I setup my mail server with dovecot so I am now able to access my host
for email from other hosts within my local net. It's been very helpful
to have that.

While I was able to add a dovecot mailer to the sendmail.cf file I was
never able to make it the local mailer. In the end I had to create
a .forward file and pipe the message through dovecot-lda. However, with
this limitation it only works for real user's with home directories that
would have a .forward file.

Are there any good pointers that could give me the necessary details to
run dovecot-lda as the local mailer from sendmail which should be able
to allow me to support virtual mail users that don't have a home
directory with a .forward file ?

A few weeks ago I played with this quite a bit, but never got the
sendmail.cf file quite right to use dovcot-lda as the local mailer.

Also, I have sieve enabled in dovecot. Right now I have evolution up and
running on one machine all the time that does the filtering of incoming
messages into their folders. The rest of the machines don't apply any
filters. I'd like to generate a sieve file so that dovecot-lda does the
filtering when the email initially comes in. But, I don't want to have
to login to one specific machine and edit the sieve instructions every
time I want to make a change.

So, I have manage sieve enabled, but as far as I can tell evolution
doesn't have a manage sieve client. I played with thunderbird a bit and
it seems it has a sieve extension that will access the manage sieve tool
to imap. But, I'd like to stick with evolution.

Is there an evolution plugin that will allow client access to manage
sieve from evolution ?

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis