Unable to create a liveUSB from Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 18:39:33 UTC 2011

On 07/28/2011 03:04 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:25 AM, yudi v <yudi.tux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The live CDs have the hard drive boot loader code and partition at
>>> the beginning of the image. The DVD images do not.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>
>> Thanks for the info.
>
> This method of putting the DVD iso onto a usbkey I have been using for
> some years and works consistently.  One word of caution though is that
> when it comes to using the usbkey to do an install to the hard drive
> of the machine you are installing to, you have to be careful when you
> reach the bootloader screen. Unless this has been fixed in very recent
> versions, you will likely find that by default it will attempt to put
> grub onto the mbr of the usbkey instead of putting it onto the mbr of
> the HD!  So at this point you need to swap over the first and second
> bios drive in the options on the bootloader page during the install,
> and make sure that it says that it will put grub onto the mbr of the
> hard drive.  Only then will your newly installed system boot normally
> once the install is complete.  The other thing is that if you do not
> do that then you may find you can't boot your key either once the
> install completes since its mbr would have been overwritten.
>
> Other than that this method of install works nicely and saves having
> to burn a disc.  Hopefully at some point the little wrinkle about the
> bootloader watchpoint  when using this method will be resolved so that
> there is no need to take care of it manually during the install.

It is a rough one to fix. The problem is with the BIOS mapping. The
USB drive is being assigned the first hard drive ID. (81) But this
ID is assigned to the boot drive when you boot from the hard drive.
You run into the same problem when you change the drive you boot
from in the BIOS, or the BIOS boot menu. Grub uses the BIOS mapping
to find stage 1.5 or 2 when booting.

Now, when you boot from a CD/DVD, the mapping is usually the same as
when you boot from the first hard drive. This mapping may not be the
same as when you boot from the hard drive, depending on the BIOS
settings. Some BIOS will let you set the mapping so you can decide
what drive comes first regardless of where it is connected. This is
especially true with SATA drives.

It is fairly simple when you have one SATA drive, and one USB drive
and are installing from the USB drive. Then you just swap the first
two entries, as you said. With more then one hard drive, this may
not work. You have to know what drive you are set to boot from.

Mikkel
- --