tcp_syncookie question

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jun 2 16:48:25 UTC 2011

Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 02:20 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> as squeezed out if I remember right to make room
>
>>> for the cookie) ...
>>>
>>>     and therefore some performance degradation when the machine gets busy
>>> ... so its never been totally problem free in that sense ...
>>>

>> Depending on what you do, more than "some." As physical distance goes up and
>> speed goes up, the penalty for small window size goes up as well. Pulling a
>> TB/day or so from NY to CA I used large window sizes to make it possible.
>>

>    As the internet has gotten faster, that was exactly my concern ...

Note that other tuning is appropriate for making lots of connections
with small amounts of data on each, vs. a single socket with very large
transfers. We were using multi-GB aggregations, so tuning the initial
window size was less of an impact, while it is very important for
delivering smaller bytes/socket.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have